Preacher: Monty Simao, pastor
Key Text: Romans 1:1-7
Apostle Paul: Tertius, my amanuensis, grab pen and ink… I must write to the church in Rome.
Tertius of Iconium: At the ready Paul.
Apostle Paul: [dictating] Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord…
Bible scholars agree: Of all his epistles, Paul’s letter to the Romans stands out.
Today on Scandia Bible Church Podcast, Pastor Monty Simao embarks upon a new study in the book of Romans— a letter that many not only credit as Paul’s magnum opus, but as the clearest articulation of the Gospel found anywhere in the Scriptures.
Apostle Paul: [dictating] …to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Listen to Sermon Podcast
The following are questions to help you think about the sermon, as well as offer a set of discussion questions for family worship, or gathering together in other settings. My prayer is that these questions will allow you to dwell longer, and meditate more, upon God’s holy Word and will be fodder for sanctifying conversations. — M.S.
- Who is the chief subject in the book of Romans?
- What is the central message of the Book of Romans?
- Who were the two historical figures that God drew to Himself through this book?
- What are the two ways that Paul describes himself in his salutation?
- What does the word Gospel mean?
- Why does Paul refer to the gospel as the gospel of God?
- What approximate year was the book of Romans written and why is that important in understanding the context?
- What did the AD 49 Edict of Claudius command and how did this impact the situation in the church in Rome?
- Should we “unhitch” our faith from the Old Testament Scriptures?
- How are all Christians like the Apostle Paul in his calling and apostleship?